Suspension & Steering
Your Vehicle's Suspension and Steering
Although Hot Rods and Classic Cars bring back fond memories and give the owner a sense of exclusivity and style, they can be difficult to drive due to their outdated steering and suspension.
Let the experts at Sonny’s upgrade your current steering and suspension to allow for a more precise handling ride that will make you forget that you are driving a 50 + year old car.
The more comfortable your ride is the more time you will spend driving, and we believe classic cars and hot rods should be driven not just sitting in the garage.
• Lift Kits
• Lowering Kits
• Suspension Upgrades
• Leaf Springs
• Coil Springs
• Coil Over Shocks
• Tubular Control Arms
• Bushings & Ball Joints
• Tie Rods
• Idler Arms & Pitman Arms
• Air Bags
• Sway Bars
Lifting & Lowering your Classic Car or Hot Rod
Sonny has been lowering and lifting vehicles for over 25 years. Let our experts help you decide on the perfect look and products for your Classic Car or Hot Rod.
We have several options to offer our customers including changing spindles, springs, suspension lift kits, upgraded shocks, and more.
The professionals at Sonny’s will assist you in picking out the type and style of lifting or lowering options that best fit your needs.
Suspension & Steering Modifications
• We can upgrade the steering box with a Quick Ratio Box or Rack and Pinion Steering.
• Replace your old Stamped Steel Control Arms with Tubular Control Arms for better handling.
• Shocks and springs can be replaced with coil-over Shocks
• Custom power steering hoses
• Ididit steering columns with tilit and keyless remote options
• Tubular control armsand boxing of factory control arms
• Upgraded low resistance ball joints
• Fixes for many poor factory designs
• Hydaulic and electric power steering upgrades
• Coilovers, drop spindles and lowering springs
• Custom leaf springs
• Subframe connectors and chassis reinforcement
• Polyurethane bushings to replace weak & worn rubber bushings
• Sealed bearing hubs to eliminate sloppy taper wheel bearings
• Increase the diameter of sway bar
The steering system of your car is everything from the steering wheel to the steering shaft, rack, and pinion, or steering box, all the way to the linkage which connects to the wheels themselves.
If you are experiencing difficulty handling the steering in your car, the experienced technicians at Sonny’s will inspect your system and recommend any services that need to be done to keep your steering in optimum condition.
There Are Two Main Steering Systems:
The Steering Box and Rack and Pinion designs
Steering Box Systems
The steering box system is usually found in older cars and some trucks. The steering box has a shaft from the steering wheel that goes in and a lever ‘pitman’ arm that goes out.
Rack and Pinion Systems
Rack and Pinion Systems are found in most modern cars as it's relatively simple and inexpensive. They don't have the slack associated with Steering Box Systems, so they allow a more comfortable drive for users.
When should I have my steering components inspected?
• Every 50,000 miles or when you take your car in for routine check-ups
• If you are involved in an accident that damages your front wheels or suspension
• When you hit a bump and your wheels turn left or right without you turning the steering wheel
• Oversteer/Understeer (rear or front of your car loses traction while rounding a corner)
• Power steering does not appear to be working making it difficult to steer the car
• Uneven tire wear
• Loose steering
• Car pulls to one side when driving
• Steering wheel jerks, wobbles or vibrates
• Noises when turning a corner
• Noises coming from the power steering unit